[olug] Post your uptime...

Dan Linder dan at linder.org
Mon Sep 29 16:26:17 UTC 2008

Obi-Wan wrote:
> Only for newer filesystems, it appears.  I can get that data for
> one created in 2006, but neither of my older filesystems report> a
creation date.  :-(

On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 11:19 AM, Phil Brutsche <phil at brutsche.us> wrote:

> It worked for me on an FS created in 2004:
>
> $/sbin/dumpe2fs /dev/sda1 | grep created
> dumpe2fs 1.41.0 (10-Jul-2008)
> Filesystem created:       Mon Oct 18 22:06:40 2004
>
> I guess it just depends on the version of e2fstools that was used.

I think is FS dependent.  My /boot is formatted to ext2 and returns nothing.

My /home is formatted to ext3 and returns this:
     root at dglaptop:~# /sbin/dumpe2fs /dev/hda5 | grep created
     dumpe2fs 1.40.8 (13-Mar-2008)
     Filesystem created:       Sun Oct 21 17:14:52 2007

Hmm... Sunday at 5:15PM....is it sad that my "fun Sunday afternoon activity"
is reformatting and re-installing Linux on my laptop?!?

:-)

Dan

--
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?" (Who can watch the watchmen?) -- from the
Satires of Juvenal