[olug] opensuse 11 & xen kernel

Jon Larsen relayer at levania.org
Thu Sep 25 21:21:38 UTC 2008

We have a box at work that we're trying to get xen to run on.  It's
running opensuse 11, Intel Xeon 3Ghz, a 3Ware card with three
sata drives, and 8GB RAM.

When you boot the PAE kernel, everything is fine.  System boots, no
problem.

When you boot the XEN kernel, the boot bombs while loading the 3ware
3w-9xxx driver.

The 3w-9xxx driver in the kernel source is newer than what is available on
the 3ware website.

If you drop the amount of memory to 2GB, the problem goes away.

Has anyone run into this issue with the 3w-9xxx bombing in a xen kernel?

Would you think that having a combined PAE and XEN kernel this issue would
be resolved?

Jon L.

Jon H. Larsen  - relayer -at- levania -dot- org
Blog - http://levania.org/relayer/
VP of Community Development, Omaha Linux Users Group - http://www.olug.org/
AnimeSunday.org - http://www.animesunday.org/