[olug] Linux versus Cisco PIX

Dan Linder dan at linder.org
Mon Sep 22 18:08:45 UTC 2008

On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 4:38 PM, T. J. Brumfield <enderandrew at gmail.com>wrote:

> I don't consider myself very knowledgeable in this regard, but I'd
> check out Untangle, which can provide Firewall features and then some.
>
> http://www.untangle.com/

You might want to check out the Astaro Security Gateway.
* Free for home use (up to 10 internal IPs)
* transparent e-mail encryption (with appropriate encryption keys)
* web proxy with filtering and scanning
* VPN features
* NAT and portforwarding
* Multiple NICs for multiple zones (i.e. external, DMZ, internal, guest,
etc)

http://www.astaro.com/

I have the free version on an old Athlon 1800 (512MB RAM, 20GB HDD) and it
works like a champ (four NICS, transparent proxy, some port forwarding,
etc).

Dan
--
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?" (Who can watch the watchmen?) -- from the
Satires of Juvenal