[olug] Spare old AGP card?

T. J. Brumfield enderandrew at gmail.com
Sun Sep 21 21:48:38 UTC 2008

I had been trying to get my buddy to consider Linux for a long time.
Finally he gave me a really old box and asked me to get Linux on it.
It was his old, spare gaming box.  The good news it that openSUSE
installed and is working fine on it.  The bad news is that he had some
Windows games on it (that I can hardly believe the box ran such as
Half Life 2) and I told him that Steam worked fine on Wine, so I'd get
them running with no problems.  Except, the CPU in the box is an AMD
Thunderbird, which doesn't support SSE instructions, and the Nvidia
driver won't work without SSE instructions.

The box will work as a desktop, connect to the internet, etc.  However
it just took a step backwards due to Linux, and here I am
over-promising and under-delivering.  I feel like a schmuck.  I wonder
if anyone would swap me this GeForce 5500 for perhaps an ATI card or
something that might atleast offer any openGL support at all?  It
would be nice to be able to load any game, and maybe even show off the
Compiz good-ness.

Thanks!

-- T. J.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of
people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."
--Douglas Adams
"Nihilism makes me smile."
--Christopher Quick