[olug] Conundrum: Wireless Network Connection on a Kubuntu 8.04 Laptop

Joe Gulizia jrguliz at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 20 12:52:03 UTC 2008

My son has an HP nv6815 laptop running Kubuntu 8.04 which I had working using a Belkin Network USB stick.

After it broke once (and has been fixed) I went looking for another option and found a Belkin N1 Express Network card which fits into his machine nicely.  It should work with the release of the next Ubuntu upgrade to kernel 2.6.27 (possible driver download from Atheros).

Trying the compat-2.6-old as suggested in the documentation guide broke the connection to the old USB...which I think I have close to working.

I get 57% into the wireless connectivity then NOTHING.  I'm using WEP encryption on the home network.

It does locate other hotspots also...couldn't verify connectivity there though (their hot spot had problems, they said).

What is a typical
/etc/network/interfaces for wireless supposed to look like? I might have a line in that wrong at this point.

Thanks in advance.
Joe