[olug] [mythtv-users] MythTV and ripping "The Phantom Menace"

Dan Linder dan at linder.org
Sun Sep 14 15:56:29 UTC 2008

On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 4:21 PM, Dan Linder <dan at linder.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 11:43 PM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
>
>> But can you watch the movie, or at least 33% of it? Your DVD might be
>> damaged, or mis-manufactured.
>>

> That's my next test when I get some time.  Unless I get a lot of free time,
> I'll probably put it in, watch the first 2-3 minutes, skip 30 minutes, watch
> another 2-3 minutes, skip, repeat.  Any reason that wouldn't be a valid
> test?  Or should I block out some time to watch it straight through from
> beginning to end?

I have some odd but satisfying and positive results.

Originally, I had the DVD limited to "x2" via the GUI.  When I  bumped it
all the way to the max (x8?), I was able to successfully rip both movies on
the first try.

Maybe my DVD drive has a quirk at the x2 speed, or maybe it was just a bad
day.  Either way, thanks for the discussion and thoughts.  Now on to the
rest of the family library. :-)

Dan

--
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?" (Who can watch the watchmen?) -- from the
Satires of Juvenal