[olug] MythTV and ripping "The Phantom Menace"

Dan Linder dan at linder.org
Thu Sep 11 21:29:39 UTC 2008

On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 6:52 AM, Dave Thacker <dthacker9 at cox.net> wrote:

> With symptoms like that, I'd try again with a new DVD.

I hope not. :-( That's the main reason I'm trying to get these DVDs moved to
the MythTV box so my daughters aren't scratching the DVDs.

What's your preferred ripping tool?  I want to start putting some of my
> collection on my Myth box.

I'm just using the "Import DVD" option on the MythTV (Mythbuntu 0.21) menu.
I chose the "Excellent" setting which pulls just the main movie off and then
transcodes it to an AVI file.  (IIRC, the "ISO Image" stores the entire DVD
image, and "Perfect" stores just the VIDEO_TS files for the movie -- both of
these are still CSS encrypted from what I understand.)

I'd like to setup a process where I could use "dd" to grab the entire ISO
image to a file, then let the system run a cron job that calls the MythTV
ripper to pull out just the main movie and transcode it.  Then I could use
my laptop to pull images, copy the image to the server, and it gets
transcoded overnight. :-)

Dan

--
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?" (Who can watch the watchmen?) -- from the
Satires of Juvenal