[olug] Clouds and SysAdmin Careers Was:Re: Chrome

Dave Thacker dthacker9 at cox.net
Sat Sep 6 13:41:43 UTC 2008

On Friday 05 September 2008 12:27:02 T. J. Brumfield wrote:
> I'm not sure that each end user will sign on to a WebOS, but
> businesses are seeing the savings in virtualization.  Cloud computing
> is the next extension from that.  Not everyone will jump on the boat,
> but cloud computing will become more and more important regardless.
>
> Some people are scared that cloud computing will mean that SysAdmins
> will be out of work.

There will be fewer needed, but that's been a long term trend for some time.
During my last job change, I had as many or more opportunities with IT
service providers as I did with companies maintaining their own IT
departments.   I've come to the conclusion that it's likely my career will
end with a provider.  I just hope they value a little grey hair.   That's
whole 'nother topic, though. :)

> What it really means is that SysAdmins will be
> working for the cloud company whose sole purpose is IT driven as
> opposed to separate industries that don't understand IT.  I welcome
> that change.

You may just be picking up the conflict between engineering and sales and
moving it to a new location.

> -- T. J.
Dave