[olug] Chrome

Will Langford unfies at gmail.com
Fri Sep 5 18:10:05 UTC 2008

On Fri, Sep 5, 2008 at 12:27 PM, T. J. Brumfield <enderandrew at gmail.com>wrote:

> I'm not sure that each end user will sign on to a WebOS, but
> businesses are seeing the savings in virtualization.  Cloud computing
> is the next extension from that.  Not everyone will jump on the boat,
> but cloud computing will become more and more important regardless.

I can see some business aspects gaining advantages with a cloud style system
going on.  I tend to be a bit closed minded and only see how things would
affect *my* business and *my* company, so I imagine there are a lot more
possibilities out there than I'm seeing.  Sooo.... point taken :).

In regards to virtualization, I'm not sure if I've mentioned that we
recently moved an 8 system test bench into a single computer and vmware
server 1.06 with decent success.  I'd love to try out a closer-to-the-metal
system, but I don't think we have a spare system that can do it (hardware
support).

> Some people are scared that cloud computing will mean that SysAdmins
> will be out of work.  What it really means is that SysAdmins will be
> working for the cloud company whose sole purpose is IT driven as
> opposed to separate industries that don't understand IT.  I welcome
> that change.

I... don't see it as a sysadmin killer.  I see it as retraining sysadmins
and perhaps retraining or removal of sheep from the mundane at-desk-hardware
support.  If cloud computing is the next thing and does indeed take over in
the real world -- I see it as a boon to IT stuff for the same reasons you
mentioned.  Possibly no more home grown patch jobs at given locations... but
an undoubtedly expensiveish real deal from a real third party firm.

-Will