[olug] Chrome

Will Langford unfies at gmail.com
Fri Sep 5 16:59:46 UTC 2008

> Eventually we'll all be working for cloud providers/SAAS providers, or we
> won't be working with linux.

I honestly don't think so.

While access to your data from any location and any device is... luring... I
doubt we'll be heading back to the days of the dumb terminal and mainframe
approach.  There's many reasons why... paranoia,
not-wanting-everything-networked (see NAT toaster thread a while back),
speed, etc.  Even with a smarter local terminal, I still just don't see it
happening.

As it is, I'm starting to see folly in having many of my important things in
a web-only based environment.  There was a slashdot thread a while back
about how to backup data you have on google... dunno if the thread produced
any results.  Can probably IMAP mirror gmail, but what about the other apps
?  And paranoia/security is always a fun issue.

Chrome, or any browser in a KIOSK mode makes perfect sense for google.  I've
made similar comments to others as well for some time (nothing on list,
tho).

A similarly fun thing to note would be many ISP's instituting bandwidth
caps/budgets.  At what point do those interfere with cloud computing ?

-Will