[olug] Chrome

Luke -Jr luke at dashjr.org
Thu Sep 4 01:06:17 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 03 September 2008 15:09:34 T. J. Brumfield wrote:
> the QT branch of Firefox 3 in the works,

Actually, the Qt branch was merged to central a few weeks ago...

> I really dig QT as a toolkit, and I'd like to see a *good* QT4 based
> browser.  The QT4 branch of Firefox is incomplete, but a step in the
> right direction.

Konqueror is awesome, far better than Firefox.
Arora is still pre-beta, but also nice if you need just a browser.

On Wednesday 03 September 2008 17:21:42 Adam Lassek wrote:
> If I had to take a guess, I would point out that QT is GPL and Google tends
> to keep their open source code commercial friendly. They favor the BSD and
> Apache licenses.

GPL is commercial-friendly. Qt isn't just GPL, though, it has exceptions for
pretty much every major open source license. There's a rumour that Nokia may
dual license it under the EPL or MPL as well.

On Wednesday 03 September 2008 17:23:20 Will Langford wrote:
> Maybe core developers of Chrome a while ago didn't like QT4 and made a
> judgement/personal decision to not use it ?

As of a few hours ago, the toolkit to be used on Linux is still undecided, and
not even top on the "needed for a Linux port" list.

On Wednesday 03 September 2008 17:23:41 T. J. Brumfield wrote:
> KDE builds upon GPL with LGPL kdelibs.  Webkit is GPL, and that didn't
> stop Google from building Chrome on top of it.

WebKit is LGPL, actually.

On Wednesday 03 September 2008 18:09:10 Will Langford wrote:
> Excerpt:
>
> webkit is licensed as follows:
>
> Copyright (C) 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 Apple Computer, Inc. All rights
> reserved.

Is Apple really making such a blatant violation of copyright law? Not even the
BSD license would allow them to strip all prior copyrights (from KHTML) and
replace them with a "everything copyright Apple"...