[olug] Chrome

Will Langford unfies at gmail.com
Wed Sep 3 22:23:20 UTC 2008

> I believe Aurora is also built on QT 4.  I find it hard to believe
> that Opera, Firefox, Konqi, QT Browser, Auroa, etc. can all built on
> QT, and that Chrome couldn't.

Simple thought.  I've seen lots of glow over QT4 here.  Maybe core
developers of Chrome a while ago didn't like QT4 and made a
judgement/personal decision to not use it ?  There's plenty of "this can do
a lot of things really well" libraries that get put away because a developer
doesn't want to use it for whatever-reason-they-feel-like.  I've seen a lot
of similar ... statements (??) in countless other developer related
discussions as well... usually when someone doesn't use a popular lib that
either offers too much or not exactly what was wanted (or wanted to
implement it from scratch on their own, etc).

Then this all comes down to the fun of it with the lazy and usually direct
and simple statement.  Chrome is BSD licensed.  If you want, port it to QT4
:).

I seem to also recall people complaining with the Quake and Q2 unix ports
that 'iD didnt run it through the compiler for my particular niche platform,
damn them!'.

-Will