[olug] Chrome

T. J. Brumfield enderandrew at gmail.com
Wed Sep 3 21:51:07 UTC 2008

On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 4:27 PM, Will Langford <unfies at gmail.com> wrote:
> Anyway -- an interesting comparison would be time-of-birth of the chrome
> concept to time of birth of QT4 or similar.  It may have been utterly
> impractical to attempt to implement Chrome with your library of choice :).
>  Personally ? I woulda been kinda happy to see an SDL based browser, just to
> really piss off plugin writers (java, adobe, etc hehehe).
>
> -Will

I don't use Opera, but I heard that was built on QT 4.  There is a QT
4 branch of Firefox these days, not to mention Konqueror, which works
multi-platform as well.  Oh, and QT ships with a built in
multi-platform browser built in Webkit, since Webkit is included in QT
4.  QT 4 handles multiple processes quite well, and multi-threading,
built in.  QT 4 has a built in javascript engine, or can use other
engines.

I believe Aurora is also built on QT 4.  I find it hard to believe
that Opera, Firefox, Konqi, QT Browser, Auroa, etc. can all built on
QT, and that Chrome couldn't.

-- T. J.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of
people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."
--Douglas Adams
"Nihilism makes me smile."
--Christopher Quick