[olug] Chrome

Will Langford unfies at gmail.com
Wed Sep 3 21:09:21 UTC 2008

On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 3:09 PM, T. J. Brumfield <enderandrew at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 2:26 PM, Will Langford <unfies at gmail.com> wrote:
> > spot.  KDE4 fork anyone ?
>
> I'm not sure if that is supposed to be a jab at the QT branch of
> Firefox 3 in the works, or the people suggesting that KDE 4 should be

Woo! Toe stomping!

9 years ago I had issues with KDE.  Pre-1.0 memory hoggingness on pentium
classic class hardware.  These days ?  I honestly don't care if it's kde,
gnome, cocoa, gdi, aero, etc.  I don't code for any in particular.  Either
my language offers an abstraction so I'm not exposed to the underlying API
-- or I'm coding low enough that I'm not concerned with such things.  And as
an end user ? If I can get the job done with little effort, then it's all
good.

The KDE4 fork jabs were primarily over those crying over the 3/4 fork flame
war.  As a complete outsider, I found the entire situation incredibly
laughable.  Similar to the gaim/pidgen/whatever-its-called screams for
forking.  Coders make piss poor beaurocrats & politicians :).  The tie in is
that some people see the capabilities and future of KDE4 as innovative.
 Others think it's a pile of rubbish... thus making it hard to judge :).

In regards to multiplatform goodness... I'm unsure how truely enwrapped
within the win32 api it is... I don't have the time to dig through mb's of
foreign sauce.  If it's got a complete isolation/wrapper from some rendering
goodness ... then as a coder, I see it as a design decision to be able to
flex each architectures strengths rather than settling for the lowest common
denominator.... with the extra work possibly being worth it.

-Will