[olug] Chrome

T. J. Brumfield enderandrew at gmail.com
Wed Sep 3 18:46:43 UTC 2008

On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 12:54 PM, Luke -Jr <luke at dashjr.org> wrote:
> Really? I haven't seen a single one, other than Google Earth which supported
> Linux before Google bought it.

I run Picasa, Google Gears, and Google Earth just fine on Linux, all
with official Linux support.  Google even helped write some patches
for Plasma so that it could support Google Gears as Plasmoids.

> That's okay. It's got nothing special or innovative after all.

Wow.  You obviously didn't read the comic.  V8 is pretty huge in and
of itself, but each tab is a separate process, and each function
within the tab is a separate process.  It makes reclaiming memory much
easier to do.  The browser is also really big on sandboxing, and
approaches the web with a sane security model.  The separate process
thing is also a big deal for me, since I loathe how the entire process
hangs on one request (be it network, javacsript, etc).  Browsers are
also pretty unstable in how any one thing can easily bring everything
down.  The comic also suggests you'll easily be able to check out the
sub-processes and monitor them to check for CPU and memory usage.
Incredibly innovative and useful there.  They go even further and do
garbage collecting in between sites within the same tab.  Monitoring
connections across multiple domains can prevent cross-site scripting
attacks.

The greatest innovation however is the sad tab.  Never underestimate
the power of "cute" in marketing your product.

I'd say Chrome represents the single biggest batch in browser
innovation I've ever seen with a release.  Yet you suggest there is
nothing special or innovative about it at all.

-- T. J.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of
people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."
--Douglas Adams
"Nihilism makes me smile."
--Christopher Quick