[olug] Chrome

Luke -Jr luke at dashjr.org
Wed Sep 3 17:53:26 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 03 September 2008 07:59:03 Chad Homan wrote:
> well I for one am disappointed that you can only try out google's new
> browser on windows.

That's okay. It's got nothing special or innovative after all.
Short of V8, the ECMAScript JIT recompiler, but that only supports 32-bit x86
anyway.

> Although, the say the linux and mac version are coming

Yeah, probably in a few months at least. They haven't even decided which
toolkit to use, and are avoiding that discussion for fear of flamewars
breaking out. The code is all still "windows.h" everywhere. I don't think
it'll be ported any time soon. Even when it is, chances are it will only run
on 32-bit x86 for the reasons given earlier.

If you just want WebKit, you have two options on Linux:
1. Arora browser
2. WebKitPart for KDE 4