[olug] [OT] Suggestions on Qwest DSL options

OBrien, Timothy IrishMASMS at olug.org
Tue Sep 2 20:54:36 UTC 2008

Thanks for the info Phil!

[snipped]
> a) Tell them you want the DSL modem in bridge mode right away. That way
> you can use a business-class firewall (PIX/ASA, SonicWALL, Netscreen,
> whatever), a WRT54GL running DD-WRT, or anything else that strikes your
> fancy, as long as it supports PPPoE.
>
> You could use your own router too, but they only support a very small
> number of models. Anything else and you're on your own.

Initially I have a DSL modem that is supposed to work, with my linksys
router between the PCs. The eventual plan is to use my old P200 as a
router, splitting the public WiFi access and my private internal access.
Do I still "need" my line enabled in bridge mode?

> b) If you don't tell them the above they'll send you a consumer device
> of some sort that has NAT+stateful firewall turned on.

Naah, from web site you can select the option that you already have one.
They send just the self install kit. :)

--
Timothy "Irish" O'Brien