[olug] Ubuntu 8.10 RC X.Org Resolution problems

Jordan Fox vmifox at gmail.com
Thu Oct 30 22:49:43 UTC 2008

To sound like an awesome geek ;)  My main box is pretty similar to the
computer you're having problems with, except for my graphics card:
Althon XP 2000+
512 MB RAM
Geforce4 (discrete)

Our cards are both supposed to use the legacy driver, however.  I'm
currently using Xubuntu 8.04, as Xfce runs a lot smoother on my stellar
hardware.  I can't really help with or say anything about Ubuntu 8.10, but I
can tell you how my box is configure in 8.04 - I don't have any graphics
issues.

Honestly, even though I've had to manually edit the config files in the past
to make things work, I'm currently just using default Ubuntu configurations
with the proprietary Nvidia driver.  I installed using the default xorg
driver and used ubuntu's proprietary driver tool to install and use the
proprietary nvidia driver.  Surprisingly, looking through my installed
software, synaptic says I'm using the regular driver and not the legacy
driver - I've had to use the legacy driver in the past.

I only have nvidia-glx, nvidia-kernel-common, and xserver-xorg-video-nv
(which I'm not using) installed.  The driver I'm using in xorg.conf is
"nvidia", not "nv".

I don't know if any of the above will really help, since you tried a default
install and nothing worked.  I wonder if your problem is caused because
you're using integrated graphics on a compaq computer.  Sometimes the
vendors aren't completely up to spec.  You might check to see if there is a
newer bios version for your motherboard.  Initially, I would have said it
was the kernel in the Ubuntu RC as the forum above says, but you've also
tried older versions of Ubuntu which wouldn't have that problem.  I did a
quick search on google for "ubuntu compaq presario nvidia" but didn't find
anything.  Unfortunately, I'm out of time at the moment.  I would be happy
to send out any of my configs that you need - like the xorg.conf.  I don't
have time to do it right now though, maybe later this evening.  Sorry I'm
not of too much help at the moment.

Jordan