[olug] To Sudo or Not to Sudo, That is the Question

Dave Pfister dave.pfister at gmail.com
Thu Oct 30 14:00:42 UTC 2008

I don't really have an issue with the sudo setup in Ubuntu's default
distribution, at work it's not that onerous, then again I don't do alot of
installing/uninstalling.  Once a day/week to get prompted for a pw to
upgrade isn't a big deal for me.   On work machines we manage most stuff
through sudo, which doesn't really bother me either, most of my work can be
done from userland as well, honestly I find user/group/permissions
management more of a hassle than getting prompted for a password.

I guess from a philosophical standpoint I'm of the belief that it's better
to make running as root less accessible to the average user, basic
permissions sandboxing is future-proofing against sloppy/broken security
configurations such as those we see in Windows.

 - Dave

--
"The empires of the future are the empires of the mind."
 - Winston Churchill