[olug] To Sudo or Not to Sudo, That is the Question

Will Langford unfies at gmail.com
Thu Oct 30 05:21:40 UTC 2008

Given the amount of root-required stuff I tend to do, I tend to 'su'
everywhere.
If I did sudo, it'd be to bash, which is more or less 'su' for the most part
:).

Here at work, there's a few of us that know root passwords to boxen, but
there's a fair amount of trust going on.  That amount of trust has pretty
much left us fairly wide open to a disgruntled employee, sadly.  Then again,
given that I am god here, if I got pissed, there's not much that can be done
to stop me from doing whatever I wanted.  If we had a mechanic for the
less-than-knowing to change keys and similar... then there's a good chance
or protecting the company from myself.  I ... may ... put the question to
the boss man on if I should work on coming up with a way for him to be able
to secure company assets against myself (or any other trusted employee)
should the need arise.

But, my boss is a firm believer in having a big brawny guy do him a favor in
such an incident :).

-Will