[olug] OT: evil poll

T. J. Brumfield enderandrew at gmail.com
Thu Oct 30 02:05:19 UTC 2008

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 8:53 PM, Eric P <eric.maillist at gmail.com> wrote:
> I haven't read the whole thread (no time), but considering this is a technical list I was surprised no one mentioned the
> candidates stance on net neutrality (I searched the thread).
>
> Simply put Obama is for net neutrality.
> http://www.barackobama.com/issues/technology/#open-internet
>
> And McCain is against it when "regulation is warranted".
> http://www.johnmccain.com/Informing/Issues/cbcd3a48-4b0e-4864-8be1-d04561c132ea.htm
>
> Go Obama!
> Eric P

Good call on pointing that out.  On one hand, I'm not sure I trust
government regulating something they don't understand.

Obama was waffled a bit on the net neutrality thing, pulling those
promises from his site until both Digg and Slashdot exploded.
Suddenly, the promises were back, but no longer specifically said net
neutrality.

It should be noted that Biden has been against net neutrality, and has
been a big ally of MediaSentry, RIAA and the MPAA.

McCain probably doesn't understand the issue as well, which isn't to
call him stupid.  I think he is very sharp on foreign affairs, but the
internet isn't his battleground.  McCain is just generally against
government regulation in business unless it is absolutely needed.

I would ultimately prefer a simple law protecting net neutrality, but
again I am terrified of government fucking it up and giving us another
DCMA littered with problem clauses.  Congress is just as likely to
step in, and destroy net neutrality by siding with telcos.

-- T. J.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of
people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."
--Douglas Adams
"Nihilism makes me smile."
--Christopher Quick