[olug] (sorta OT) Splitting a dual layer DVD ISO to multiple single layer DVD/CDs

Irish irish.masms at gmail.com
Wed Oct 29 16:55:23 UTC 2008

On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 5:37 PM, Irish <irish.masms at gmail.com> wrote:
> Well, I do not have an dual layer DVD drives handy - but I do have an
> extra hard drive. Hopefully this laptop will boot from a USB or
> Firewire connected hard drive! :)

Solution:

Grab an extra hard drive, and one of our Firewire/USB to ATA/SATA
bridges. Connect to laptop; using Firewire (USB is way too slow).
Firewire 800 seems to work great, 400 would be ok.
Wipe the drive (Always start from a clean slate).
Boot into OS X
Open disk utility. Partition the external drive if desired -  you need
at least an 8GB partition.
click once on anything in the left list
click the restore tab
click the image button and select the OS X Install image DMG file
Drag the destination volume into the destination box.
Click the Erase Destination check box
Click the Restore button.
Reboot laptop, holding down the [option] key
Select the external drive & Install image to boot from.
Follow the prompts.

It all seems to be working so far... about 3 hours to go for the
upgrade. :) Thanks for all the input!  (Though I still want to figure
out how to make some ISOs on single layer - would feel more
comfortable having them around).

Irish