[olug] Box/burn of openSUSE 10 or 11?

T. J. Brumfield enderandrew at gmail.com
Wed Oct 22 22:15:43 UTC 2008

openSUSE 11 is a very nice upgrade, however they changed the package
manager so much so, and all new RPMs are compressed with LZMA, that
upgrading from 10.x to 11.0 may be a bit wonky.  Some people managed
to do it just fine, but because it changed so much, openSUSE
recommends a clean install.  If you have a separate /home partition
then you're not really losing anything.

No more dependency hell.  Zypper and Yast are much faster.  Changing
the package manager makes upgrading problematic, but it was worth
doing.

-- T. J.