[olug] OT: is a "domain name" property or service ?

Will Langford unfies at gmail.com
Tue Oct 21 16:30:08 UTC 2008

I've.... been having a hard time finding a solid definition for if owning a
domain name is considered a property or a service agreement.
Many law related texts seem to insist that a domain name is a 'property'.
 Reading Agreements at registrars leads me to believe they are a service.
Lastly, the worlds end all be all legal resource (cough), wikipedia suggests
that 'owning a domain name' is more or less:

"Domain names are often referred to simply as *domains* and domain name
registrants are frequently referred to as *domain owners*, although domain
name registration with a registrar does not confer any legal ownership of
the name, only an exclusive right of use."

Of similar note - is a leased vehicle my property or the bank's property ?
 What about time shares to vacation spots or spa/gym memberships ?

ICANN's website is sadly, the typical annoyingly obtuse 'lots of content,
impossible to find' sites.  I can't find anything in agreements that
specifically defines a domain name as either goods or services.

Damnit!

Anyone care to point me to a solid definition rather than some editorial
opinion piece ?

-Will