[olug] Setting Kmail to send outgoing mail through Cox Cable Omaha

Dave Thacker dthacker9 at cox.net
Sun Oct 19 19:05:20 UTC 2008

On Sunday 19 October 2008 11:59:26 T. J. Brumfield wrote:
> Slightly off topic, but Cox blocks port 25 for access to anything but
> Cox's email service.  I was trying to set up my mom's new Linux
> desktop to use Kmail for her Yahoo account, and her Pureromance
> account.  Neither provide an alternate port for email.  Cox kept
> telling me I could send mail with those email addresses, but it has to
> go through Cox's server.  However, they said they couldn't provide
> instructions how to do this.
>
> Anyone know how to configure Kmail to send through Cox?
>
> -- T. J.

Next time, please start a new thread with a new subject.  It helps others
searching for the same answer to find it more easily.

I'm running KDE 3.5.8 and Kmail 1.9.6

Settings--->Configure Kmail---> Accounts
Click on the "Sending" tab of the form
My working configuration looks like this:
Name: cox outbound
Host: smtp.central.cox.net
Port: 25
Precommand: no entry
Server requires authentication is not checked
Send alternate hostname is not checked

Good Luck!

Dave