[olug] DVD Ripping

T. J. Brumfield enderandrew at gmail.com
Thu Oct 16 18:10:17 UTC 2008

I know this is shocking for a SysAdmin, but I don't have a tape backup
at home.  My personal documents have always been small enough to
backup online.  I've lost my music collection before and wasn't
devastated.  I have basically every rom for every system, as well as
basically every MAME rom, but those can be legally dumped from the
appropriate places again.  However, I do have a little trepidation
about losing my entire movie collection.  When I'm done ripping this,
is there someone who has a tape backup system who would help me out?
I'll buy the tapes and bring my box to you.  If I can get the movies
to 1 gig a pop, we're talking about something like 400 gigs.

In theory I could do it at work, but my manager does like to check on
tape backup jobs.  He makes a point to constantly make sure we have
good backups.

-- T. J.