[olug] DVD Ripping

T. J. Brumfield enderandrew at gmail.com
Thu Oct 16 16:32:47 UTC 2008

On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 11:19 AM, John Hobbs <john at velvetcache.org> wrote:
>> ...The Last Starfighter
>
> That movie was, yeah, I don't even have words.

I want a Last Starfighter arcade cab.

> A little bit back on topic here...why exactly are you so game on
> trashing your discs?  I can see some value in security (disc rot,
> scratches, etc.) but as far as being concerned about a ~30 second disc
> swap on a 90 min movie, I mean, is that really an issue?  I guess I
> can also see the value (read bragging rights/cool factor) in being
> able to have a sweet interface vs. a bunch of discs.  Just curious why
> you would want to pour another few hundred dollars (for HDD) into
> essentially moving your movie collection around when you could just
> buy more movies instead :-)

I had two big DVD racks basically full.  I have no more room to buy
DVDs.  I have a big house and all, but no practical space to keep DVD
racks near my TV, and at the moment they are filling one wall of my
office, which is getting cramped.  On one hand, it will cost money for
the HDDs, but when I'm done I figure I can put my collection of discs
on craigslist and get some money back for selling off a couple hundred
DVDs.

-- T. J.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of
people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."
--Douglas Adams
"Nihilism makes me smile."
--Christopher Quick