[olug] DVD Ripping

Will Langford unfies at gmail.com
Thu Oct 16 15:01:55 UTC 2008

> First of all, shame on you ;-)  Second of all, a lot of people who do
> releases in "the scene" don't really know what they are doing.  If you
> go find a maVen XVID release (have to be older as they now often use,
> that's right, H.264) you'll be impressed in comparison (not that I'm
> encouraging you to pirate again).

At the time, I was fetching some movies that weren't on DVD... or just about
impossible to find.  Stuff that wasn't popular here in the states, etc.  I
did try a couple popular movies as well (whole 'might as well' mentality).

And I won't doubt doubt that the 'scene' people are fairly clueless.  My own
quick experiment into ripping movies for personal use produced much better
results at similar destination sizes.  Again, years ago heh.  Ripping wasn't
practical at the time (smaller hd's).

I typically buy everything I use, even software and music (gasp!), heh :).
 And over the last few years, there's been a swarm of things [re-]released
on DVD, so all is well.

Hell, back with the p2p goodness, I even received a DMCA notice from Cox
with lots of stern language.  I played stupid / innocent and complied with
all their terms (basically just deleting content and uninstalling app heh).
 If it matters, the movie in question was The Last Starfighter ... which
wasn't on DVD at the time :).

-Will