[olug] DVD Ripping

T. J. Brumfield enderandrew at gmail.com
Thu Oct 16 14:43:57 UTC 2008

> Another good point, though I'm sure your PS3 could handle it. Although
> does the PS3 even support this sort of thing? I haven't bought a new
> console since forever.

Yep, the PS3 handles decoding most codecs these days.  I can stream
content to it wirelessly.  Honestly, even if the PS3 never played
games, but was just a BluRay player, and a media center, it would be
worth the cost.  Oh, and Sony supports installing Linux on the PS3,
even providing you an option in the system to help partitioning for
Linux, and also supports upgrading the HDD without voiding the
warranty.  The hardware is all very standard (BluRay drive, standard
USB ports, 802.11 g, gigabit ethernet ports, bluetooth, etc).  I'm a
big fan of the PS3.

-- T. J.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of
people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."
--Douglas Adams
"Nihilism makes me smile."
--Christopher Quick