[olug] DVD Ripping

Will Langford unfies at gmail.com
Thu Oct 16 14:31:07 UTC 2008

I'll echo the h264 sentiment.  For a generic swiss army knife, it might be
your best bet.
Long ago when I grabbed movies off p2p networks and stuff, I was content
with 2 CD movies in divx/xvid -- but -- after watching some more dvd's after
the fact, I found their quality to be... well.. lacking.  I can't imagine
watching them on the 42" I have now.  Granted, I've not tried my own
rippings with own settings on things, though.

If you're looking for a one stop rip settings, I'd prolly pick 2-4 of your
movies that have the widest range of visual style.  Cartoon/anime, action
flick, chick flick, and a dark horror or scifi movie.  Try your single-style
encoding option on all four and see if you're happy.

The only concern on h264 and maybe a couple other codecs... would be the
decoding PC would need to be at most a couple years old probably.

With the eventual plans of making a Myth box as soon as I get more free time
(now that I've got spare tuners and stuff) - I'm somewhat interested in how
things turn out for you.  Getting all the movies in a non-disc-swapping
state would kick ass... although I suppose I'd have to look at Myth's movie
playback features (and if I'd just need to rip as .iso or what).

-Will