[olug] DVD Ripping

John Hobbs john at velvetcache.org
Thu Oct 16 14:16:48 UTC 2008

H.264 is pretty great, but can be slow to encode.  Most, uh, shared
copies, of DVD's out there are going to be XVID/DIVX because they are
pretty good and don't take forever to encode.  There are different
"best" settings on those for different movie types, i.e. anime has
different needs (more solid color swatches) then an action movie, so
you might want to do things a genre at a time.

As for applications, dvd::rip [0] is my favorite Linux app. and you
can use it in a cluster to do your processing even faster.  Don't know
how simple it would be to just "put in and rip" though, at the very
least you'll need to change settings for different aspect ratios.

[0] http://www2.exit1.org/dvdrip/

- John Hobbs

john at velvetcache.org