[olug] SSD write durability in production use

Will Langford unfies at gmail.com
Wed Oct 15 23:45:35 UTC 2008

On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 8:51 AM, Dan Anderson <dan-anderson at cox.net> wrote:

> There are various types of SSD - have you considered SDRAM (DDR) SSD or the
> newer hybrid ones?
>
> IMO, they would be more appropriate for a production DB type application
> then the low-end flash products (good, fast, cheap - pick 2).
>
> Dan

The concern for memory based SSD's (the gigabyte card was first looked at
due to all the press) would be retention time in the event of an unforeseen
permanent power failure.

16 hours on the gigabyte card isn't too bad, I suppose, but if we can reach
72 hrs, we'd be much more comfortable.  We did debate possibly hacking
together a better battery for the gigabyte.... :).  But we never did pick up
a gigabyte, etc etc etc.  For scheduled power offs and similar, sure -- a
copy from the RAM device to a traditional disk would work just fine.. but
that's scheduled!

I believe... there's been recent showings of the multi-sandboxed WOW card
thing.... while it's not targeted to gamers, it's got an enthusiast price
tag and undoubtedly appropriate server related performance.  But I think
that card is also flash/slc based.