[olug] OT: bacon s'getti sauce

Thomas D. Williamson twilliam at inebraska.com
Tue Oct 7 03:35:11 UTC 2008

Actually bacon like products are regularly used in Italian cooking
pancetta, is a cured but unsmoked pork meat similar to bacon. It is
used in Bolognaise Sauce. Proscuitto, a cured ham is also used in some
sauces. Both of these are salt cured and impart salt flavors to the
sauces. An American version of a Carbonara Sauce starts by rendering
finely diced bacon in butter. Once that is done milk is added to the
bacon and butter. After the milk is incorporated, a bit of vinegar is
added to the bacon, butter and milk. This turns the milk into a gooey
cheese like substance. This is cooked until it becomes more like runny
cheese. The mixture is then tossed with hot pasta, and then tossed
with some beaten eggs and Parmesan cheese. Add some black pepper and
serve with more Parmesan cheese. This way you get bacon and eggs in a
dinner without it looking like a breakfast meal. It is thought that
the Carbonara came from fatty pork being smoked over a grill on an
open fire before rendering it in the butter.

Tom Williamson