[olug] Advice on a new rig

Obi-Wan obiwan at jedi.com
Thu Nov 27 22:52:43 UTC 2008

> I may also grab a power supply in advance if there is a good sale on one
> right now.  I need a power supply that can handle a beefy video card,
> 4 HDDs and plenty of fans.  I would prefer the HDD to be 80-plus
> certified.  Stable rails would be nice.  Anyone have any
> recommendations?

It's a little more expensive than the ones you're considering, but I've
been very happy with the Seasonic M12-700 that I bought earlier this
year.  Modular, efficient, 700W, and so quiet that I initially thought
the fan wasn't working when I first fired it up.  NewEgg sells them
for about $180.  It was the most expensive single component in my system.
In my mine, it was worth it, because I've had to replace several failed
non-name power supplies in other people's computers in the last couple
years, and I didn't want to repeat that on my own computer.