[olug] Happy Turkey Day

T. J. Brumfield enderandrew at gmail.com
Wed Nov 26 02:46:33 UTC 2008

I'm running Gentoo Thanksgiving.  I'm still raising my turkey in one
of Nebraska's turkey farms, but I'm selecting one that will be the
ideal weight for my family.  I need to carefully select the right
recipe of herbs, spices and CFLAGS or I may hose the stuffing.
Luckily there are tons of innards and I can just start the stuffing
over from the bootstrap if I have to.  Then I plan on cooking it in an
oven with flames painted on the side.  The oven won't get any hotter,
but I will have the illusion it won't take all day to cook the bird.
When I'm finished I will have a great sense of satisfaction that I
prepared the ideal meal for my family, until I start looking for side
dishes and realize that Gentoo Thanksgiving didn't stock the grocery
store repositories with any updated recipes/ebuilds for the latest
side dish packages.  What once was a time-honored holiday tradition
just doesn't look as enticing anymore.

Then I find out my neighbor who had a Fedora Thanksgiving just said,
"yum grub" and dinner was quickly resolved for conflicts (do you
really want cole-slaw dripping on your candied yams?), delivered and
laid out.  Thanksgiving experts love it and it is hard to argue the
merits of a Fedora dinner.  They just sat down and ate.

Further down the street I heard about Ubuntu Thanksgiving.  The basic
thanksgiving dinner was prepared and there in the box.  It wasn't
fancy.  There weren't bacon bits in the green beans, because
Canonical's cooks didn't have the staff to make fancy recipes
upstream.  Easy and practical but not the best.

Lastly openSUSE prepares a fantastic bird, with all of the trimmings.
They have a large staff of chefs making excellent recipes.  But they
also share recipes with the evil Microsoft cranberry sauce factory
which none of the other turkey companies are happy about.

-- T. J.