[olug] Qwest and IP assignment

Christopher Cashell topher-olug at zyp.org
Wed Nov 26 00:51:17 UTC 2008

On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 12:23 PM, Will Langford <unfies at gmail.com> wrote:
> Wow.  I can guess marketing it as a protective feature... or... perhaps just
> to reduce bot crap... or...... just... wow.

It's been that way since they started though, back in '95/'96.  I did
some work with them a short time after that, and asked a few people,
but I never got a real good or straight answer.  I think it might have
been out of fear of abuse.  When it was originally setup, they were
one of the very first cable modem test sites in the country.  It was
also 10Mbit up and down.  That's a lot of bandwidth to risk,
especially when no one is quite sure how a cable modem service will be
used (abused).

Just speculation, though.

> Sounds like they'll need to setup some ssh tunnels or a vpn or something
> then.

Yep.  That's my thought, too.

--
Christopher