[olug] Qwest and IP assignment

Will Langford unfies at gmail.com
Sat Nov 22 05:31:56 UTC 2008

> Yes, direct modem to pc.

USB of Ethernet to the modem ?  I'm unsure how USB<>modem stuffs works,
hence the question :).

>  Thanks for actually spending the time to hunt down the user's guide.  I
> also found it and didn't find anything useful.

No prob :)

> However, the guide also failed to mention anything about the status page at
> 192.168.100.1, so maybe there's some other
> "hidden" info out there.

192.168.100.1 is actually quite common among cable modems (and maybe DSL?).
 Most will generally only offer statistics, as you have mentioned yours gave
you.

> Another friend I was just speaking with mentioned that even though there
> isn't a web interface at the gateway
> (10.64.0.1), I may be able to telnet into it and mess around.

I'm wondering if Qwest is the one giving you a Qwest-internal-network of
10.64.0.1.  I'm also curious if that's USB related.  Basically, with
10.64.0.1, you're in some kind of private network still.  While you might be
able to telnet to 10.64.0.1, I'd be very cautious about alot of stuff -- you
might be accessing something inside the ISP rather than your modem :).

I highly doubt that Qwest would NAT all of it's users... thereby not
allowing them to run ANY public services.

-Will