[olug] Web Host Opinion Poll

Mike Hostetler hostetlerm at gmail.com
Tue Nov 11 16:05:56 UTC 2008

On Sat, Nov 8, 2008 at 11:28 PM, T. J. Brumfield <enderandrew at gmail.com>wrote:

> I have been using PowWeb for years.  They run BSD servers, they are
> very cheap and you get unlimited bandwidth which is pretty insane.
>
> http://www.powweb.com/powweb/index.bml

I, too, have PowWeb, but I can't fully recommend them unless you just want a
simple blog or a static site.  They do have one-button installs for
WordPress, Drupal, etc.

> No SSH access, and I have been disappointed with PHP/SQL performance
> lately.  It used to be fast years ago, but they sold the company to
> new ownership.

I second those and have another compliant. They only offer ftp to transfer
files (!!!) and since they got bought out  I have a heck of a time uploading
files.  It goes through 10-20 files and just stops.  It makes upgrading
WordPress painful.  I have to use lftp (which is a great tool!) which
continues an upload in case the ftp connection suddenly closes.

I have another site that is on Joyent's Shared Accelerator. We got in while
the going was cheap -- I think we paid $1000 up front and we get to keep it
forever. SSH, SFTP, WebDav, multiple users, Webmin, Virtumin, can install
Rails, Django, etc. Support is excellent.  However, now they are not cheap!

http://www.joyent.com/products

This thread is good, since I have about 3-4 people asking me to help them
set up a site.

--
Mike Hostetler
http://mike.hostetlerhome.com/