[olug] Getting sound in Fedora 8

Obi-Wan obiwan at jedi.com
Tue Nov 11 05:43:21 UTC 2008

> This sounds like good advice. :-) The live Fedora 10 PR isn't up to the
> challenge. In the process of getting an MP3 with which to test the sound, the
> distro broke in so many ways as to frustrate the attempt.

Here's a little update on my "fedora 10 on laptop" fiasco.

I tried to download the x86_64 install DVD three times before I finally
got one that wouldn't die two hours into the download.  Then that DVD
wouldn't boot.  Google claimed it was a bad burn.

On Rex's recommendation, I grabbed the x86_64 live CD instead.  Download
worked first time.  Burned with my desktop's old, internal CD burner.
Laptop wouldn't even recognize it was there.  Put the CD back in my
desktop's drive, and it asked me what to do with the blank disk I'd
just inserted.  Burned the same CD again.  Same results.  Finally
burned it using my newer, external DVD burner.  That one burned fine.
Must have a bad laser in my internal burner.  :-(

The burned CD must have gotten hosed, because despite no longer being
recognized as a blank disk, I was unable to view the contents of the CD.
Burned it again using a new CD.  The laptop finally recognized the CD,
but told me it couldn't boot the x86_64 CD on my 32-bit system.  Grrr...
I overlooked the "Core Duo" vs "Core 2 Duo" difference.

Downloaded & burned yet another CD -- the F10 i686 live CD.  Finally
got a good one.

Anyway, I'm now typing this from said laptop, running F10 PR.  So far,
everything works perfectly out of the box.  Suspend works.  MP3 works
(hence my reply to this thread).  Wireless works.

Only problem is that I have only 3 levels of LCD brightness, but Ubuntu
8.04 had the same problem.  I can live with that.

I'll let you know if anything changes, but so far, I'm quite happy with F10
and with this Dell XPS m1210 laptop.