[olug] Fedora 10?

Rob Townley rob.townley at gmail.com
Sat Nov 8 18:11:57 UTC 2008

On Fri, Nov 7, 2008 at 7:25 PM, Obi-Wan <obiwan at jedi.com> wrote:

> I finally got the new battery for my "new" used laptop (Dell XPS m1210,
> core duo CPU).  It came with WinXP installed, but I'm going to put
> Linux on it (not sure yet whether to keep a small XP partition to dual
> boot, or just go all Linux).  This will replace my POS Mac iBook.
>
> Anyway, I've been using Ubuntu on a number of desktop machines for
> a while, and I like it, but I thought I may try something new on
> the laptop just for variety.  I'm thinking about Fedora.
>
> I know we've got a couple big Fedora users on this list.  Any reason
> I shouldn't run Fedora on this?  I tried the v9 live CD, and other
> than some issues when resuming from a "suspend," it all worked well
> enough.  When I went to download it tonight, I noticed that v10 is
> due out in a couple weeks.  Should I install the "stable" v9 now?
> Should I wait for v10 and hope I don't get burned as an early adopter?
> Should I grab the v10 beta and live on the edge?
>
> This laptop won't be my primary computer; I mainly use it as just an
> email/web appliance from the living room.  It needs to work well,
> though.  I'm not in the mood to do lots of troubleshooting.  Any
> recommendations?
>
> --
> Ben "Obi-Wan" Hollingsworth                             obiwan at jedi.com
>   The stuff of earth competes for the allegiance I owe only to the
>     Giver of all good things, so if I stand, let me stand on the
>       promise that You will pull me through.  -- Rich Mullins

Please dont let the FUD below stop anyone, just use it to be prepared.

The fact that firmware gets mixed into device drivers has bothered me
for a while, especially when it came to the possibility of remotely
hacking any OS by attacking the wifi driver/firmware.

(Dell XPS m1210, core duo CPU)
i have seen a few references to intel network card firmware being
corrupted by the driver, in fact someone else on this list with a Gb
intel nic.  You may want to check that out beforehand.  i suppose one
could take the really cautious route by disabling the NICs in the BIOS
and using a USB nic of somekind until intel sorts it out if it isn't
already.   Take the slightly risky route by using the builtin nics and
then use the USB nic to repair the firmware if it were to go bad.