[olug] OT: security through antiquity

Will Langford unfies at gmail.com
Thu Nov 6 02:08:12 UTC 2008

On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 7:16 PM, Phil Brutsche <phil at brutsche.us> wrote:

> Will Langford wrote:
> > I suppose ya could make an argument that 'through antiquity' is just a
> > special case of 'through obscurity' ...
>
> Is it?

Antiquity vs obscurity could possibly be viewed as square vs rectangle --
one is a special case of the other :)

> This particular article talks about IE5 running on... wait for it...
> Windows 3.1!

Article talks about that as well (no malware would understand 3.1).  Malware
understanding IE5 is likely, but as article mentions - IPC and similar
technologies is not prevalent in 3.1 so typical overflows might not be
possible... or at least be more meaningless.  If Win32S is installed, it
might be more dangerous.

I also wonder how many W311 installations actually have a live or unshielded
connection to the internet - being undoubtedly embedded targets, I'd imagine
a mostly closed network :)

-Will