[olug] Firefox 3 launch party

Luke -Jr luke at dashjr.org
Fri May 30 16:10:32 UTC 2008

On Friday 30 May 2008, Bill Brush wrote:
> Here's a list of products that were technically better at the time,
> but either lost market share, or failed to get any appreciable
> adoption:
> Netscape Navigator

Netscape had the majority marketshare until IE 4 gained technical superiority.

> NeXT

OS X doesn't have appreciable adoption?

> Linux (this is changing but it's taken over a decade, still very
> little non-geek adoption)

Linux is just a kernel and depends on many other applications to become a
complete OS. These combinations all have their own issues, and while superior
to Windows in general, introduce problems that people who are used to Windows
do not like.

> As much as you might like KHTML, and maybe you really really dislike
> Firefox, I think you may be a bit premature in speculating over Firefox's
> demise.  In order for people to migrate to KHTML, it has to get a critical
> mass of users, it has to get "buzz", and it has to offer something that's
> head and shoulders better than Firefox or it won't be worth the trouble to
> change.

It's not just KHTML... With Qt 4.4's WebKit integration, there is bound to be
a new browser based on it that can compete even better with Firefox, quite
possibly with some level of compatibility for plugins.

In fact, the new browser seems to already be named... Arora
	http://code.google.com/p/arora/