[olug] Firefox 3 launch party

Bill Brush bbrush at gmail.com
Fri May 30 14:22:16 UTC 2008

Why would being "lighter and more compliant" get people to change?
If the market followed whichever product was "technically" the best we
would live in a much different world.

Here's a list of products that were technically better at the time,
but either lost market share, or failed to get any appreciable
adoption:
Netscape Navigator
NeXT
Linux (this is changing but it's taken over a decade, still very
little non-geek adoption)
Netware
Geos
N-DOS
BeOS
Betamax

The list could go on for pages.  As much as you might like KHTML, and
maybe you really really dislike Firefox, I think you may be a bit
premature in speculating over Firefox's demise.  In order for people
to migrate to KHTML, it has to get a critical mass of users, it has to
get "buzz", and it has to offer something that's head and shoulders
better than Firefox or it won't be worth the trouble to change.  You
may consider the switchover trivial, but trust me, you're not the
typical user.

Bill