[olug] Damn Small Linux install on WYSE thin client

DYNATRON tech dynatron at gmail.com
Tue May 20 04:29:54 UTC 2008

before i read through the wealth of info you've sent me (holy crap, that's
some good stuff)...i'll fill you in on the current state.

#1 - will not finish booting NT anymore. it just resets after trying. i
think i filled up the "CF" card running some mysterious "*extract*.exe"
program. i knew it was a bad idea, but i did it anyhow. after resetting, it
does not boot NT. PXE seems to be the only hope for this one.

#2 - i hacked the crap out of M$NT on this one.... up and running with
"extended" user privileges...

#3 - stepped in to fill #1's shoes. up and running NT with user privileges.

#4 - has no CF card, and will not power on (might just be broken..). i will
replace with another unit tomorrow.

i used the default username/password i found in the "quick-guide" for the
model of winterm i have. the administrator password was not set to default
on the equipment i have, so user access is all i can get for now.

i started off on #1 by typing c:\ in the address bar of IE (the only thing
on the user desktop). it took me to C:\(root), and i was able to create a
text file (FU.bat.txt).
i hit enter on the txt file, which opened a notepad.
i typed "cmd", then saved the file as "FU.bat".
upon executing FU.bat, i got the NT CLI.
the first thing i typed was "explorer", which brought back the taskbar and
start menu. after that came "dir /s c:\*.exe". using this search, the only
usefull things i immediately found were explorer and regedit.
regedit is acting all weird - letting me change some keys (c:\ as IE
homepage), but not the ones i need to change (restoring the control panel,
forcing DHCP to adapters, etc). after tinkering with other executables, i
seem to have killed the NT installation on this machine, effectively
bricking the device (for now).

as far as NT hack options, there's not a whole lot more i can do without
admin privileges. (this is a linux forum anyway, right?).

now, i think my best option is PXE boot, which i know absolutely nothing
about other than a brief overview of how it works. i'm downloading neopxe
(good choice?) to use as a PXE server on a linux platform. my only linux
right now is a liveCD, so i hope i can get the daemon to run correctly. i
know very little about tftp, and that seems to be a key component to PXE, so
that may be a setback also.

the good thing is that i'm getting some good practice time, and i'm about to
learn a lot about something which i know very little about.

i'm going to read over what you sent, then apply what i learn tomorrow.
i've got to get to bed right now, but i want you to know how much i
appreciate your help. i've got too much time invested in this to give up on
it, so we'll see what happens tomorrow.

thanks once again!