[olug] DDOS attack on my Inbox. Spam "from me" being rejected

Dave Thacker dthacker9 at cox.net
Fri May 16 02:40:12 UTC 2008

On Thursday 15 May 2008 12:15:59 Jay Hannah wrote:
> For the last week or so I've been getting about 600 bounced emails a
> day from all over the Internet. Apparently I've had the glorious luck
> that some spammer(s) have chosen to send their email From: "xxx yyyy"
> <jay at jays.net>.
>
> This is a whole new universe of spam pain, that I have no idea how to
> fight.
>
> Any ideas?

SPF, as mentioned below.  Hint:  I have SPF records in DNS at work for our
marketing contractors. (1)

To combat the load of junk coming back at jays.net, you may want to look at
greylisting.  I haven't implemented this on bluestrain.net yet, but I'm
strongly considering it. (2)

Dave Thacker

(1) http://www.openspf.org/Introduction
(2) http://projects.puremagic.com/greylisting/whitepaper.html