[olug] Semi-local colo facilities

Obi-Wan obiwan at jedi.com
Wed May 14 22:21:30 UTC 2008

> As for hosting in someone's basement or on their business cable modem: It's
> good in theory, but it's a major hassle for both the client and the host.
> If the machine goes down and no one's home, you're pretty much shafted.

That's true, and it's why I resisted the initial urge to offer you space
in the 42U rack in my basement in southeast Lincoln.

For my own off-site backup, I keep an encrypted 750GB USB drive at my
office.  This has the advantage that when I generate a whole lot of
data in one shot, I can transfer it to my office on a few DVD's rather
than having to push it all over the wire, which will saturate my line
for many hours.  I use rsync to mirror all the little stuff.  Using a
remote service like Amazon's would be torturous for somebody who's into
digital photography unless you had a several-Mbps uplink.