[olug] Semi-local colo facilities

Christopher Cashell topher-olug at zyp.org
Wed May 14 05:30:22 UTC 2008

On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 3:34 PM, Dan Linder <dan at linder.org> wrote:
> Another option you might consider is the Amazon S3 services using
> JungleDisk.  I use JD on my wifes computer (WinXP) and it's pretty nice to
> have our Quicken files and some other important files backed up over an
> encrypted link to an off-site location.  And my biggest bill for the data so
> far has been about $0.47 for my testing (involving a lot of uploading /
> deleting / re-uploading).

I want to second the potential of Amazon's S3.  I've been using it
personally for backups for almost a year now.  Initially it was a
little rough, as there were few tools to support it, but things have
improved significantly.  A couple of different backup software
packages have added support for S3, and there are other tools
(including a command line tool, s3cmd, and even a Firefox extension)
for easy access.

Paying just for the data transfer and storage that you use, and at a
great rate, is really nice.  Being able to access it from anywhere is,
also.  I do wish they'd offer a more direct interface, even if it was
simplified (via HTTP, ftp, whatever), but that's a fairly minor issue.
 All in all, I'm really happy with how S3 has worked out as a backup
solution.

--
Christopher