[olug] PC ringer for POTS phone

Will Langford unfies at gmail.com
Thu May 8 20:07:50 UTC 2008

On Thu, May 8, 2008 at 2:42 PM, Dan Linder <dan at linder.org> wrote:
> On Thu, May 8, 2008 at 2:33 PM, Obi-Wan <obiwan at jedi.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm thinking maybe
>> something that I could either run through a modem (so the computer
>> could sense the ring) or split & run one line into a modem.  I don't
>> really have any need for caller ID, as the phone (which sits 90 degrees
>> to the left of my monitor) has that info on it.  All I need is a visual
>> ringer.

I had something like this back in the Afterstep days on my wharf.
Long lost the now irrelevant code though.  Shouldn't be too hard to
come up with something, in say, RealBasic that does something of what
you want ? Even something python and wxforms or something shouldn't be
too hard to drum up (all you're looking for is a 'RING' from /dev/tts0
ish etc).

Also, as mentioned, check to see if your phone has anything for the
hearing impaired.

-Will