[olug] PC ringer for POTS phone

Dan Linder dan at linder.org
Thu May 8 19:42:02 UTC 2008

On Thu, May 8, 2008 at 2:33 PM, Obi-Wan <obiwan at jedi.com> wrote:

> I'm thinking maybe
> something that I could either run through a modem (so the computer
> could sense the ring) or split & run one line into a modem.  I don't
> really have any need for caller ID, as the phone (which sits 90 degrees
> to the left of my monitor) has that info on it.  All I need is a visual
> ringer.

You might want to see what "Hello Direct" (http://www.hellodirect.com/)
has.  Plus check to see what options your phone system has for hard of
hearing users and visual indicators.

I seem to remember at one time they had a little thing that went between the
handset and the base and included an audio-in jack.  This would let you use
normal audio headphones with music, but when the phone rang it could switch
over and you'd hear the caller through the headphones (can't remember where
the mic was).

Dan

--
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?" (Who can watch the watchmen?) -- from the
Satires of Juvenal