[olug] Video camera suggestions

Dan Linder dan at linder.org
Thu May 8 19:36:37 UTC 2008

On Thu, May 8, 2008 at 2:13 PM, Luke -Jr <luke at dashjr.org> wrote:

> On a slightly related note, a company named Axis has open source
> Linux-based
> realtime (eg, non-recording) cameras. I believe the hardware is open too,
> so
> you could probably add some larger storage (or digital tape interface?)
> and
> battery to get an open camera. ;)

You mean something like this?
http://www.emmitsburg.net/humor/pictures/2006/ordinateurportable.jpg
:-)

I too have been looking for a new *still* camera, and I have been playing
with a friends low-end Kodak V1003.  It's a still camera by design, but it
has some video capabilities and shoots decent video at 640x480 (as a mp4v
file format which VLC plays perfectly).  I'm looking at their newer
Kodak EasyShare Z1285 or Canon Powershot SD750 - both of which do video.

No, the video of these won't rival a dedicated video camera, but the ability
to use either by carrying a single small package means that I'll be more
inclined to take videos at a moments notice now.  (I dislike having to carry
around two cameras and normally opted for the single still camera...)

I'd say the video quality of the V1003 is better than the old 8mm and Super8
videos my parents took, and on par with VHS-C quality.

Dan

--
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?" (Who can watch the watchmen?) -- from the
Satires of Juvenal